Friday, December 30, 2011

Why take less?


So in a world of bigger and better, why would we opt for something less?  My screaming example of this came while I was at the grocery store the other day and looking at the cookies.  So many delicious choices, but something jumped out at me that just seemed stoopid.  It was the Oreos.  A fabulous little delectable that has stood the test of time and remains an American favorite.  As I looked at my many options, I realized the obvious.  There was the regular, old fashioned Oreo….  And then there was the Double Stuff Oreo.  Now can you tell me who in their right mind would settle for the standard filling when you can take on the double stuff?  Come on, man!  I’m a consistent consumer of the Oreo and ALWAYS go with the double stuff.  Why wouldn’t you?  When you successfully twist off the top cookie half and get to that splendid white center….  It’s like hitting the jackpot.  I can’t imagine going through that process and then only getting a single stuff reward! 

This happens all the time.  There are products on the grocery shelf that say “New and improved flavor!”.  Yeah baby – that is what I’m talking about!  Then, a quick peek to the left of the “New and improved flavor” and I see the original flavor.  Who would look at those options and say to themselves…  “nah, I don’t want more flavor, I think I will just stick with the usual bland option”.  And why do companies continue to produce things that aren’t as good as their new versions?  It’s like buying a car where the original comes with two tires and the new and improved model has four tires.  I can’t get my mind around it.

So, when you are at the store the next time, take a minute to chuckle at the options you have for the original version of something and the NEW, FANTASTIC and WONDERFUL option of the same product.  If you start to grab for the lesser product – slap yourself!!  Don’t take less, opt for the better option.  And always, I mean ALWAYS go with the Double Stuff Oreo or you will be mocked!


No comments:

Post a Comment