Monday, October 24, 2011

What a waste!


One of the best couple of weeks in the year…. The World Series!  For baseball fans around the country, it’s a time when the summer past time rolls into fall and the elite shine.  Whether your team is in it, or you’re simply adopting one of the final two teams competing for the pennant, it’s a wonderful time of the year. 

On Sunday night, there were 49,170 fans wearing Texas Rangers colors – and a few sporting the Cardinals gear – as game 4 got underway.  As I watched the game from my recliner in the family room, I think about what a wonderful event this is and what a true blessing it is for those fans who scored tickets to the game.  Again, it doesn’t matter if you’re a fan of the game or not, simply being in attendance for one of sports’ great occasions is amazing  and a true privilege.  Maybe even a once in a lifetime opportunity?

So can someone tell me why, why in the name of all that is good and holy in this world, would a chick sitting front row behind home plate feel the need to be on her phone for the entire game?  Come on man!  You have to be kidding me.  I get it, you might want to take a picture and then post it to your Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter account so all of your “Friends” can see how cool you are and be reminded of their lifetime of failures.  Still, that effort should only take 3 minutes at the most.  This girl had her head buried in her keyboard for the majority of the game.  I would see the batter dig into the box, spit over his shoulder and peer back at the pitcher.  Then, I would glance behind the batter to see this knucklehead missing the entire thing.  One of the most frustrating feelings I’ve had in some time.

I wanted so badly to obtain her mobile number, call her from my chair and give her the business.  What a waste.  Not just of money paid for the tickets, but a waste of a seat that a true baseball fan would have killed for.  I realize we’re quickly becoming a country of tiny letters and sore thumbs, but you have to know when to put the damned phone down.  If you can’t understand this, perhaps you should avoid any public setting, or sporting event or anything that requires actual eye contact and social skills.  There is a place for peeps like this, and it ISN’T front row at the World Series!!! 

Please, let us come together and realize there is more to life than updating your status every 5 minutes with information that nobody really cares about.  Don’t allow yourself to be defined by 55 characters or less.  Be someone, be present and be an individual.  If you have tickets to game 5 of the series and can’t seem to find the strength to fight the mainstream addiction that pulls all your focus and energy from that tiny brain of yours…. Please mail me your tickets and I will go in your place… with my phone left at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment