Thursday, March 3, 2011

Adults are boring!

When is the last time you had a food fight?  How about a trek down the legendary slip-n-slide?  I know, right?  I'm wondering why it is that as we get older, we get boring?  What's up with that?  I hate it.  We take our larger selves into the office every day and do what the man tells us, slowly releasing our individuality and desire to still have fun.  When adults act up, do something silly or enjoy a minute of thoughtless enjoyment we seem to look down on them and wonder how they passed the drug screening.

I don't like it one bit.  Of course, I can't change it as we have been brainwashed into thinking that with each passing year and annoying birthday card comes another layer of responsibility and expectations for professionalism.  Where has the fun gone?  When you are alone with your family, friends or kids... I'm sure you move about with reckless abandon.  However when mixed with other stuffy-heads, we all behave as we're expected to so we don't make a scene and embarrass our better half.  Again, POOP!

I wish we were a society in which adults can still behave like children.  Kickball tourney in the cul-de-sac and sport some face paint for the 9:00 meeting on some corporate crap.  That's what I'm talking about.  I know it can't happen, but there are more opportunities for us huge kids to still have fun and be a part of making our days better.  We own our behavior and decide how we take on the tick-tock of the daily routine.  Why don't we aim to not take ourselves so seriously?  Loosen up a bit and realize that it's okay that we aren't always marching in perfect harmony with Fred from Accounting.

So I'm calling on each of you (I think I might have 4 readers now) to think about bringing a little more fun into your day.  Odds are, the people around you will pick up on it and realize that they too would like to reduce the robot behavior.  Do what you can do to raise someone up.  Be who you are and who you want to be.  If that involves streaking past the lunchroom at your office, I recommend reading up on the policy regarding streaking first.  We don't need to make drastic changes, but just know that you won't be judged for having fun.  People can still kick some tail as a business person, a parent or a leader while having a little fun.  Odds are you will feel better and those around you might quit talking so much smack about you behind your back.

Please join me in the fun movement.  If you don't like to have fun, then you shouldn't be reading this anyway.  So off we go!  Smile, laugh and streak if necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment